Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2018

on wisdom and sin...

The other day I posted a little snippet of what God has been teaching me over on Instagram.
Just because it isn't sinful, doesn't mean it's wise. OUCH. Lately, God has been using His Word (I have been camping out daily in the Proverbs, which is a staple for my morning chats with Jesus!) to remind me that wisdom is a rare and grey commodity. Sin is typically black and white, we know that difference between godliness and lawlessness, yet wisdom? Wisdom is a little more intricate, a little more blurry. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Just because it isn't sinful, doesn't mean it's wise"...
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wisdom looks differently for everyone; we all have our own convictions, sin-triggers, heartaches, desires, idols. What might be wise for you, may not be wise for me, and vice versa. Wisdom requires self-awareness, self-control, self-denial. Wisdom is incredibly nuanced; you must determine a biblical ethic in context to you personally. When it comes to these three areas, I think it is important to ask ourselves the big questions, like:

- Am I making choices that glorify myself or glorify God?
- Am I seeking out something that will benefit my spiritual health?
- Am I making choices that are not only wise for me, but for the others involved?
- Am I engaging in actions and behaviors that aren't sinful, but still aren't a good idea?
- Am I able to tell my mentor/accountability partner what I have done without feeling shame or guilt?

The absence of wisdom begets sin. Sometimes, being wise means saying no to the fun, saying no to the good, saying no to the common thing, and saying yes in faith, being obedient to His desires rather than your own. Jesus never said obedience would be fun and feel good all of the time, but He does say that it is worth it. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


"The absence of wisdom begets sin..."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Bible says that if you seek wisdom, she will be your bestie and a forever friend. She will guard you, guide you, protect you. And I don't know about you, but that sounds like something worth pursuing. 


Friends, what is God teaching you lately? What does wisdom look like for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment