Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

late fees...

Confession: I am horrible at returning my Redbox rentals. And by horrible, I mean that I returned Frozen (yes, I am hooked like the rest of the world) a whole week late and have accrued $9.07 in late fees. This is a reoccurring theme in my life. You guys, I really have no great excuse, it's simply a problem!

As I drove away from my neighborhood CVS, ashamed of my own forgetfulness, I was reminded of a simple, yet heavy truth: God's timing is perfect. He is never late, never forgets, and reserves seasons of both joy and trial intentionally, not haphazardly. 

Ouch. That hurts the crevices of my heart that ache for control, those places that crave answers. Deep inside, those crevices scream, "Jesus... HELLO?! Apparently, you don't see what I see right now..." But friends, He does; in fact, He sees with a vision that we are incapable of, a vision that sees the past, present, future and crafts all things for His ultimate good. Am I able to see those patterns, construct beauty from the ashes and make sense of the seemingly senseless? (Clearly a rhetorical question.)

When I am tempted to doubt His timing, I think of 2 Peter 3:9 which states, 
" The LORD is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient towards you..."

And, some of the things that we yearn for are not even promised to us (which is a completely different topic!).

The divine clock does not tick away wasted time, but rather, it ticks towards intentionality, promise, sanctification, and His glory. I serve a God that generously lavishes grace; there are no late fees to be found in the life that is surrendered to Christ. 

I am also encouraged by this little nugget of truth from "The Valley of Vision":
"I thank thee that many of my prayers have been refused... I have longed for Egypt and have been given wilderness..."

The Israelites were allotted the splendor of Egypt and the hardship of the wilderness; I am sure that the 40 years of wilderness seemed that they would never end, and the Israelites questioned God's faithfulness and His timing and His sovereignty, but ultimately, God provided what He promised to them. Let us be encouraged by those who walked before us in the land of milk and honey!

Friends, are you questioning His timing today? Are you applying late fees to your life because He is seeming to work too slow in your life? Be reminded today that He is not slow, He has not forgot you; acknowledge that He is working, even when life seems silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment